Wednesday, November 24, 2010

"About a Boy" challenge layout

Hello!

It's been a little while, but I've been busy trying to prepare for the holidays!  :)  My Dad and my stepmom will be coming down here tomorrow and spending Thanksgiving with us.  I'll try to make this a fairly quick post, as I need to get back to getting ready!

I finally finished my layout for the About a Boy challenge over at one of my favorite hangouts, the Memory Makers forum.  There's still time to play (needs to be uploaded by the end of today), so you should give it a try! Check the thread out here for details.

So, many of you know that my fiancé Seth and I have been together for quite a while.. it'll be 9 years in February.  My, how time flies!  I've never actually done a layout like this before, just about him.


The challenge included using a technique from the new PageMaps book by Becky Fleck - creating a faux notebook edge.  It took a little time, but I like how it turned out!

I created my background with the En Français retired background stamp, with VersaMark on Early Espresso textured cardstock, then sewed around the page with my sewing machine and white thread.  After creating the notebook edge at the top, I stamped the image from Lovely as a Tree (stamped off on scratch paper first to make it a shade lighter) with Crumb Cake on the textured Whisper White cardstock.

Here's a close-up of the journaling:  (it's a little mushy!)


I really love how that little border under the photo looks!  It was easy to create using just four punch-outs from the Decorative Label Punch (which is on sale as part of the Handmade Holiday bundles at SU!).. I trimmed the side edges and taped them together on the back.

The tag on the side is from the Table Setting Bigz XL die (which is also on sale!).  I punched a hole in it and threaded some Linen Thread through.  I did leave my chipboard letters raw, as I felt it added to the overall look of the page.  What do you think?

Here are a couple more close-up shots...



Well, I must go.. don't forget to check out the challenge!  And don't forget about the items on sale in the Stampin' Up! store.  They would all make great gifts!  :)

Happy Thanksgiving!  I'm grateful that you stopped by my blog!

"heart" layout supplies:
Stamps:  Lovely as a Tree, French Foliage, En Français (retired)
Ink:  Soft Suede, Crumb Cake, VersaMark
Paper:  Early Espresso, Whisper White, Crumb Cake, Marina Mist, and Soft Suede cardstock, Green Tea Designer Series Paper (retired)
Accessories/Tools:  Antique Brads, Neutrals Designer Button, Antique Trinkets (safety pin), Timeless Type On Board Chipboard Letters, Old Olive 5/8" Satin Ribbon, Linen Thread, Soft Suede Stampin' Write Marker, Basic Black Stampin' Write Journaler, Stampin' Sponges, Decorative Label and Heart-to-Heart Punches, Crop-a-dile, Table Setting Bigz XL die, sewing machine and thread, Big Shot

4 comments:

  1. simply gorgeous-love how the technique worked out! I did one for the challenge but didn't read it all the way and used pics of my daughter lol! Fav part was the way you used the chopboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this LO. It is so moving and I want to say beautiful, but don't want to take away from the manliness of it either. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful page! You make awesome scrapbook pages!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment.. it makes my day!